Monday, March 7, 2011

Helau!!! Helau! Helau!

Helau!     Helau is a traditional Fasching greeting.   What's Fasching?
Basically, Fasching, Fastnacht is somewhat like Mardi Gras, Carnival in Rio,
the Carnival in Venice  ... except it's flair is German, of course.  Well, if you are really interested you can read about it here.


In the Palatinate where I grew up a lot of the festivities involved singing.
Here is a typical song. I grew up hearing it a lot around Fashing.
I found the German lyrics online and
copied them below. I also translated the lyrics so you would get an idea
of what the song is about. 




Kinder hört mal her
heut' muß was gescheh'n

heut' wird mal die Nacht zum Tage gemacht.
Sowas hat die Welt schon lang' nicht geseh'n.
Wir haben was Tolles ausgedacht:

Wir machen durch bis morgen früh und singen:
bums valdera
bums valdera
bums valdera.
Wir trinken heut' so viel wie nie und singen:
bums valdera
bums valdera
so viel wie nie.
Herr Wirt
komm her
das Glas ist leer

wir möchten jetzt erst recht noch mehr!
(2x)

Ich geb' heut' den letzten Pfennig noch aus

mir ist's ganz egal
heut' leben wir mal.
Selbst die Hypothek von unserem Haus geht drauf
und ist futsch auf jeden Fall:

Wir machen durch ...



Hey kids! Listen up!
Today something's going to happen..

Today we are going to turn night into day.
The world hasn't seen something like this in a long time.
And we have a wild idea:

We're gonna party until tomorrow morning while singing
bums valdera
ditto
ditto
Today we'll drink like we've never drunk before and we'll sing:
bums valdera
ditto
ditto
like never before.
Herr Wirt (mr innkeeper, mr pubkeeper)
come here
my glass is empty

now we want even more!

I'm going to spend my last dime.

I don't care.
Today i'm gonna live.
Even the mortgage on our house will be used
and it's all kaplui anyway

We're gonna party until tomorrow morning and sing
bums valdera, etc etc ...


It's quite the intellectual song, gell?


Fasching in Mainz is pretty big.  Mainz is the capitol of the Rhineland-Palatinate, btw.
These are the pre Rosenmontag festivities. ( Rosenmontag (Rose Monday) is the highlight of the German "Karneval" (carnival), and is on the Shrove Monday before Ash Wednesday, the beginning of the Lenten season.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosenmontag)


Anyway, Fasching, Fastnacht, Carnival in Germany varies from region to region.   Southern parts of Germany have their witches and goblins who sweep out the old to make way for the new. 




And that's really I all I have to say on Fasching. Did I party? No, just checked out a few youtube events for the blog post.

Btw, it's also Haiku Monday. I didn't participate last week. The subject matter last week was peace and I couldn't think of anything to say besides: Peace be with you.. And also with you.

This weeks Haiku Monday is hosted by Auntie Belle. Her theme is signs. And here
are my submissions for that:

curling wafting smoke ..
noxious fumes of cigarette
stress manifested



tumultuous rain
undulating bulbs stretch high..
heralds of springtime


ululating roars
undulating ungulates
unguligrade run


sinuous wafting ..
smoke lingers in the cool air
cig butts litter ground

17 comments:

xl said...

Thank you for the expanded Fasching info! :)

dianne said...

I love that you have these traditions and carnivals, it must be so much fun ... I like the idea of sweeping away the old to make way for the new.
Lovely bright song Foamy dear and a very interesting post.

xoxoxo ♡

foam said...

xl,
you are very welcome!

dianne,
i like the idea of sweeping away the old too. i like the idea of a last hurrah before lent. (not that i really give up anything)

X. Dell said...

Sounds like a good time, sans beads.

BTW, hast du etwas zeit for mich? Dann auch singe ich ein lied for dich:-)

foam said...

x.dell,
Ja, ich habe immer Zeit fuer dich. Singe mir ein Lied .. :)

J Cosmo Newbery said...

All of a sudden I want to drink bier...uh...beer.

Aunty Belle said...

heh... Fat Tuesday today!


Interestin' piece of Foamy history.

BTW, I'se real real taken wif' that photo on your sidebar. It doan make no sense to me, youse the artist, see if ya hep me unnerstan' why that photo of trees in the waning/ waxing light reminds me of Lyonel Feininger's
Church of the Minorities?

I wanna see that painting in the flesh. Has seen a large print of in flesh ( not online) an' the careful viewer will find more than first meets the eye.

Ululating ungulates made me laugh out loud an 5 am.

Rolf said...

Helau! I have never heard about it before.

I know about the Oktoberfest, but this is something else. Very interesting.

Helau!

The Phosgene Kid said...

and you get yer tie cut off.

Carol said...

I had to use the dictionary for this post. Thanks for stretching my old, brittle brain!

(At least I used the dictionary on the computer instead of doing what my friend did one day - when she didn't know a word in an on-line article, she put down her laptop so that she could walk to another room to pick up a real dictionary.)

/t. said...

i hated carnival
growing up as a kid

every time it came to town,
the townsfolk (some carrying torches) would force me to participate by making me sit on a hard wooden chair in a dimly lit tent where tourists would pay to gaze upon my hideously deformed features

my only consolation in life is that i have outlived michael jackson

great post, tho

× × ×

/t.

moi said...

I had you for the win, although my fave was your ode to cigarette smoke. If I make it to 80? I'm smoking again.

My mother was from the Eifel region of Germany, although most of my relatives now live in Bonn and Bad Godesberg. They send me wonderful photos every year from their Fasching celebrations. I really need to go back for a visit.

connell said...

holy road apples, Batman! What did you just step in?

Well, Robin, I can tell you it's soft, smells bad, and is still quite warm...but the farmer said there weren't any cows out in the field...

Run! Batman RUN! It's a BULL!

yeah...but, who's "Jack"?

Boonie S said...

What a Faschingnating post! Thanks for this.

All the best, Boonie

benjibopper said...

wow, and it's not even October. I love how so many cultures reserve a day to just over indulge and party, just because.

Great haikus too. Here's mine:

Grey houses grey sky
cold grey bare grey frozen ground
greys hairs more yearly

Not too cheery, but it's that time of year - just not quite spring yet.

Boxer said...

weeeeeeeee, Foam Won!

You're consisently good, so I was really happy that you were the winner.

Now what?

xl said...

Yay Foam on the haiku win!

Glückwünsche!

copyright stuff ©

© the artwork, photographs and writings are mine, unless i credit somebody else. if you would like to use them please let me know. of course, use of my artwork or photographs on your part are only for noncommercial purposes.
from /t.

Foam, Flux & Flowers

for Foam Foam Flux and Flowers
Dataset for Foam, Flux & Flowers
  "·       foam             C"

Artist"s recognizing artistry

Artist"s recognizing artistry
THE WIZARD'S HAT AWARD

LIBRA

LIBRA

Das Wildschwein

Das Wildschwein
last year's christmas cd to a blogger formerly known as schaumi ... from a beloved blogger formerly known as k9 ...:)
¡¡¡<"HO>"!!!
¡¡¡<"HO>"<HO> <HO> <HO> <HO> <HO>!!!

and she's current christmas masterpiece

and she's current christmas masterpiece
we luvs ya, she dawgy