these are my good things for this particular tuesday. I will title this post:
"good things to do on a tuesday when your furnace has decided to go on the blink and you wake up to a frigid house because it's been really rather very cold for 6 weeks straight and the nights have especially been frigid and your husband is gone on a business trip and you have nobody to warm the bed with you and your child wakes up sick and you find out that the schools are on a two hour delay because there is black ice on the roads".
1. you wake up at 5 a.m. realizing how frigid it is. you soon realize the furnace is not working. you wrap yourself in your husband's robe which drags along the floor because you are short and he is tall and go into the frigid kitchen to make coffee.
2. you go to the lower level of the house (not the main part of the house) and turn on the gas fireplace which has a blower so the heat blows out. you close all downstairs rooms so the heat will travel up the staircase. you check blogs on the computer and in general leave your usual silly comments.
3. you grab the portable heating unit (it's a safe one) and take it into your bedroom and proceed to get ready for the day. you check on the children and realize the youngest is ailing. the heating unit goes into his room. with a sick child and no heat the only thing to do is to call in sick yourself. you go back to the computer and write a substitute lesson plan for the rest of the day which you email to your school.
4. you start straightening up the kitchen a bit since the previous evening you had baked brownies to take to a boy scout christmas party. you decide that one way to keep the kitchen warm is to keep on baking and cooking. so you make more brownies .. with pecans this time, you make a sweet potato casserole, you peel apples and decide to make crock pot apple butter into which you decide to dump a generous amount of eau-de-vie poire william .. you know .. in german we refer to this as williams-christ birnen schnapps (pear schnapps), you make lentil soup. you wash all dishes by hand because your dishwasher had long ago gone on the blink. hot water keeps the hands warm anyway.
5. while all this is going on you had already gotten wood and started a fire in the living room. luckily that fireplace can be closed and has a blower that will blow the hot air into the room. you keep that fire going while you are baking and cooking.
6. you vacuum the floors where you discover that the dog had found some napkins and has shredded them all over creation. you make sure your sick child is fed and warm under covers in the den. the portable heating unit always goes where the ailing child is.
7. by this time of the day, you are so warm, your feet are feeling toasty, the house smells of cooked apples, brownies, sweet potato casserole, soup, cinnamon, wood from the fireplace ..
but you are exhausted ..
and you could stand to have a nap..
except that the darn people from the furnace company are still not here ..
and you know that as soon as you lay down they will come knocking on the door...
oh, well ..
best to check on the fire again..
anybody care for some schnapps? i might just have a swig.